Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Chilford Hall, Linton Cambridgeshire

Monday in Cambridge dawned crisp and bright. A new route through shady parkland, along stonewalls and through ornamental gates needs to be learned...this daily 15 minute walk is refreshing and even more enjoyable than Oxford.

















Pasty is an authentic local food. There's a sweet shop behind our main conference venue, Great St.Mary's that specializes in such fare and I simply had to investigate.
A sign next to the ceiling answers the question that must surely be asked endlessly by the curious like me.











T'was very good indeed... especially with a slowly savoured latte at a window booth.
I chose a pasty filled with chicken, mushroom & onion filling. They have quite the lovefest going on here for mushrooms! We get them at breakfast ALL the time along with the brown beans.
My palate is inquisitive but beans at breakfast doesn't appeal -- nor do the ever present pea mashers at lunch.




Drive-through ATM machines on a pedestrianized cobblestreet means bike or banen only.
Is that correct Dutch for legs?

This is Malcolm Guite (below) the fella that brings the wildness of John the Baptist to my mind.
Catherine sits under the inspiring tutelage of this fiery, pastor/singer/artist in her Poetry
Workshop here at Cambridge. Her assessment? "Oh he's crazy mom, crazy good. Yeah, I like him a lot."
I'll be searching out his recordings if any exist. His lyricism speak a theology thoughtful and profound.
They might even measure to the Giants of that category in my mind: Rich Mullins & Carolyn Arends.


















Great St. Mary's of Cambridge:
Home of this weeks mass conference gatherings.
This is viewed from the back of the building. Across the street is the open air market. I climbed 123 steps of a ridiculously narrow spiral staircase to the tower peak for the aerial photos posted a few days ago.
I took the shot standing outside Paperchase, a card store that I lost an hour to reading all the cards...highly reminiscent of another time when me
and my bro were standing on either side of a Hallmark stand, unaware of each other, reading cards and laughing out loud at the good ones. Such a silly but fine memory for both of us!


Well then, there will be no such Romeo & Juliette re-enactments allowed here in college country.
Boys absolutely, not permitted.






























The beautiful elegant Clare College, whose grounds we saunter through by special arrangement each day we head for Great St.Mary's.
The crowning glory of this College is her well-kept, formal gardens...









So I took this pic and thought to myself, "What a stodgy formal bunch they are...a tad excessive in their opinion of themselves as gardeners?
A wee bit overblown perhaps?"










But no, then I took my eyes off the view finder and turned my head for a change -- and there they were!
Yes, the garden is a haven and sanctuary after all.
One must simply look around and quit her unbending, strict stride to and fro.
(a more flowery version of: Stop and smell the roses lassy!)


















I am rather proud of this shot. It's what I see from the pea-gravel path in the park en route to the city center.

Those are real cows, yes. Lazing about and chewing cud.































This pic is for sister Cathy who is the newest greenhouse authority on our country block.
I found this on site of the Chilford Country Hall - a dilapidated sorry sight in need of some love.
I just thought of you instantly sweet sis and wanted to say howdy, you're missed.
(How was the metrical rhythm of that?....I best not share it with Catherine the Poet just yet eh?)

Okay, okay, the shutter speed was all wrong. But you get the picture right?
75 conferees of various age and ability swirling around to the traditional English dance tunes of the Mellstock Country Band.








Catherine and I went for an evening stroll the first night in Cambridge and our over-active imagination thought we heard the incessant hoot of the owl.
We soon discovered it was merely an oversized version of the morning dove -- y'know?...the sort you want to obliterate with a BB gun after the first ten minutes?







































Commiserating with fellow dinner
attendants in the statuary gardens of Chilford Winery.














































The Mellstock Country Band. Of course I bought their music books and Cd's! Look out next Vanderkruk family function! www.whitecottagewebsites.co.uk/mellstock/members.htm


















Catherine and her chosen dance partner, Elizabeth.
It was obvious they had a blast!

They took the last bus back if that's an indicator.



1 comment:

amymom24 said...

More fabulous pictures. Love the pictures of the garden, and that one of the cows through the trees. Very artistic! And even though the shutter speed is off on those couple of dance photos, it produces a cool effect - like you did it on purpose. That is what you should have let us believe! :) Glad Cath is having so much fun too - taking the bus all by herself... My little sis is growing up:)