Wednesday, August 6, 2008

About the heavens...

I made a fascinating discovery today -- Of all the Psalms, the 19th was a personal favourite to
C.S.Lewis. Now I sit in a class called C.S.Lewis and the Heavens - Search for Meaning in the Sky and it's starting to come together...I have some eureka moments and many more slow realizations, moments where something just comes into a sharper focus like an automatic zoom lens sorting itself out.
I'm quite undecided about whether or not (or how much) to share the things I'm learning in class - it terribly exciting to me - yet I am fully aware it may not be of great interest to you.
Delving into the mysteries of medieval cosmology OR knowing how people viewed the heavens when they looked into the night sky (before all the light pollution of the Industrial Age and beyond! ) OR the many references to astrology in the Bible and the significance of the constellation mentioned therein.
....I shrug my shoulders with indecision dear friends.
here's the new ground covered in my attempt to memorize Psalm 19, picking up at verse 5:
In the heavens he has prepared a tent for the sun,
which is like a bridegroom coming forth from his pavilion,
like a champion rejoicing to run his course. (what imagery!?)
It rises from one end of the heavens and makes its circuit to the other;
nothing is hidden from its heat.
Well todays circuit has begun, may the sun greet you warmly as it has for me.

1 comment:

amymom24 said...

The sun did great us warmly yesterday! For all this talk of rain in the UK, you seem to be having some great weather.

About sharing the things you've learned - we'd love to hear some of it. The highlights, perhaps?