Thursday, February 19, 2009

Making its circuit

I absolutely love the ocean.   
Art and Jackie took us out for a fancy steak dinner last night but before loading into the van for that fine adventure, we seized the chance to catch another sunset.  
All good things come to an end.
I know that and I gladly accept returning to a new normal once again.
But I will really miss the ocean just the same.
I love walking in it and watching it.  
I love the way the waves roar and foam and roll over in great green/blue curls. 
Sometimes its very calm but the wind today was enough to bring out the surfers and wind boarders in full force.   The kite enthusiasts are a special breed and because of the great expanse of this beach - plentiful as well.  
I don't always have the camera attached to me but will make a serious effort to capture that craft on film before I have to leave these sights behind me.  
The water temperature may have broken 60 degrees (a die-hard imperialist :) at long last. People are slowly venturing beyond their kneecaps into the froth now.
A heated pool at 86 degrees is by far more appealing for the swimming fix.   This pool is covered with a lunai or fine screening - which allows us to open up a whole wall of glass sliding doors (about 25 feet long) to get that lovin' 'outdoor living' feeling.  
Not quite the same as camping but an agreeable compromise in my estimation!

One morning I left the house at 6:30am to catch a sunrise.  
I had to drive down the road a bit to find a good clearing on the bay side of the island where the sun first makes its daily appearance. 
The picture below is one of three bridges I need to travel to get off the south end of the island. It would have been better to take the pedestrian walk to the peak of this bridge to catch it rising over the bay but I chickened out.
Traffic is heavy enough at that time of day to make me re-think the wisdom of putting myself at risk like that.  So to all those who like to chide me for "living life on the edge", take note!

A sunrise is every bit as beautiful as a sunset; perhaps even more so because it bestows light instead of darkness.  On the other hand, the stars of a black clear night are the express gift of a sunset.  Those with eyes to see are blessed either way aren't they? 
The heavens declare the glory of God;  the skies proclaim the work of his hands.  
Day after day they pour forth speech;  night after night they display knowledge.  
There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard.  
Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world.  
Uh-huh.  Oh yeah.  Quite right.   

No comments: