Monday, July 28, 2008

The Eye of London

A British Airways Boeing 747 took us across the Atlantic without incident. I have high praise for the airline - it's equipment and service is of the refreshingly old-fashioned type. Customer service is not dead and gone after all!
World Traveller Plus means you get a few extra inches of leg room and while it certainly beats the cramped quarters of a chartered flight (can of sardines anyone?) the seat is still not a bed.
Yeah, revelation, I know.
I "stole" this picture having secured permission from some security personnel and then was promptly chastised by a BA female rep. who suggested that photography of their planes is a security breach. What a load of hooey.

















Here's the fella that relieved us of 70 pounds to transport us from Heathrow to the city center.
It was nice to sit comfortably and get a Londenderry visual but I already think cab drivers are suspect for seeking out and finding the heavily congested areas. Curiously, the meter does not stop and crawl like we did through much of the city.
London is dirty I'm afraid. Dirty and frenetic.

















This is Big Ben. I'd love to give you a host of details about these sites but alas, the cutsie little tour guide I purchased at the kiosk went missing from our Capsule -- probably sometime during the extra 15 minutes we were held hostage due to technical difficulties. This was much to the chagrin of my travelling companion whom I discovered, does not pull off all-nighters very well. Just when you'd want them to act their age for a change....

















A statue outside of Buckingham Palace - I admired its' Aslan'esque' appearance! If I find out its true significance I'll let you in on it. The changing of the guard apparently takes place every summer morning at 11am. We drove through that ceremony in the second cab drive back to Victoria Station to catch a coach to Oxford. It was then I started to suspect the cab drivers propensity for choosing congested routes -- the direct route was pointed out to us by cabbie #1 and #2 definitely did not use it! *sigh*

















Buckingham Palace from the backseat window, leaning over Catherine. Just austere looking, really. Hate to sound so unimpressed, but if I were Queen of England, I'd look for another piece of real estate. :)

















From the beginning of our capsule rotation which incidentally takes 30 minutes. Turtlenet speed. Fortunately, I could keep busy snapping photos, I've decided I don't like it much when I can't see the ground anywhere beneath me. The para-sailing dream just died.
This is the renowned London sky-line - Westminster Abbey with the Tower of London sporting Big Ben atop and Westminster Bridge running along the side....

















this is...uhm...yeah...little tour book missing
















My little forlorn looking daughter looking out over the vast River Thames
























Keble College is headquarters for the week here at Oxford. We have only just begun to explore it's nooks and crannies...
The exquisite dining hall where we supped with about 200 conferees. Catherine schooled me on the Latin inscribed in the numerous stained glass windows. I shall try to snag a close-up of these inspiring Letters of Light in the near future.
And now my dear friends, I must go to bed. I shall reunite at day's end tomorrow. Luv y'all!

5 comments:

lilly said...

Yay! Great post!
Everything looks absolutely wonderful. I can't believe that your dining hall looks like that! Wow!
Looking forward to hearing about all things Lewis :)

amymom24 said...

GREAT pics mom! Glad you made it safe and sound. That dining hall reminds me of a Harry Potter movie:)

Anonymous said...

good to hear you had an uneventful flight. What fabulous pictures, your dining hall looks amazing....full of history yes? can't wait for more posts. Love ya

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing the pictures! There is certainly a lot to see... Enjoy every minute!
Love you both:)

Anonymous said...

The last picture reminds me of the dining hall in Harry Potter ;) Glad to hear your enjoying England!I just saw Amys comment, great minds think alike ;)