Friday, June 27, 2008

Who I am



Assuming you have spent time reflecting on one of the deep questions of faith/life i.e. Who am I? What am I doing here? Where am I going?....you will understand how difficult it can be to articulate. I mean, at least in a manner that is honest & doesn't bore your audience to death.
For one thing, I am a choir teacher. I followed my children into their gradeschool environment, working as a volunteer...a position which developed over the years into resident choir teacher.
This is the type of "job" that gives me so much pleasure and satisfaction, I am still there though my baby has graduated long ago and is now entering university. A good friend uses this to define me:
Two years ago something amazing happened to me which radically altered my station in this life. In one unforgettable summer weekend, I suddenly became the mother of two mothers.
This event instantly and singularly changed the status of my life to Grand.
While I am eternally grateful for this gift and choose to happily dedicate the remainder of my days to wearing this mantle with humility, pizzazz and God's good grace (!) it remains a transition that requires some effort - a deliberate shift in my view of things.
It means taking a fresh look at myself and my new role.
My girls call me Marmie, in the tradition of Louisa May Alcotts' Little Women...a moniker I wear with a bit of trepidation knowing what little semblance I bear to the author's central figure.
It follows does it not, that the advent of grandchildren should augment that name to Grandmarmie? Now it is true of course that the four little lambs whom the Great Giver of Great Gifts has so lavished upon our laps, are all still too young to wrangle such a name from their mouths. But the day is coming and as we await one still in the womb and remember the two we have in heaven, yet to meet someday....gamma and baca will do.

Grandmarmie X 7 with two in heaven. Yeah. I quite like the sound of that.
Oh, and my dear friend who has thus defined me above? She's offered an update...


3 comments:

amymom24 said...

Awwwwww, great post, Mom:) Those are some pretty cute kids!

Anonymous said...

yeah!
and the illustrations aren't bad either ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey Jo great blog! will visit often!